6 May 2021

Good weekend, including my first Whip-poor-will!

The countdown to my Rondeau trip starts today, 2 more nights! This will give my year list a huge boost! 

But, this weekend was nothing to be shy about, it started Friday by getting a Cerulean Warbler that has been hanging around Dundurn Castle almost all week. This followed an amazing sighting of an Eastern Whip-poor-will in Paletta! My first, putting my Ontario life list at 281! It sat real nice and still and I got some amazing pictures! 

On Saturday I went down to Long Point with a friend of mine. She and I managed to round up about 50 species which is a low count, unfortunately. I did manage to find my first Magnolia Warbler of the year! I also had a flyover Black-bellied Plover! This is actually the earliest black-belly I've seen, was very cool! 

Sunday saw me patch birding, weaving around the rain I started later than I would have liked, but this stopped nothing! I managed 69 species at Selkirk Provincial Park including an early Wilson's Warbler! I also found yet another Vesper Sparrow, this has been a pretty good year for Vespers in my patch. 
The mudflats still persist in Selkirk which managed again 5 Lesser Yellow Legs, 2 Greater Yellowlegs, and my first Solitary Sandpiper of the year! 

My first Eastern Whip-poor-will! 
This male Cerulean Warbler hung around Dundurn for a few days so I decided to get some so-so pics of it! 
First Solitary Sandpiper of the year, and a first for me in Selkirk PP! 
Yet another Vesper Sparrow hanging around Selkirk PP! 
The White-crowned Sparrows are on their way back through, not in huge numbers yet but soon! 

1 comment:

  1. Nice birding! I wish I'd been able to get to the Whip!!!

    ReplyDelete