5 Jun 2020

Playing Catch Up (03-Jun-2020 to 05-Jun-2020)

    The last day of May marks the official last day of banding and in turn the end of the Spring Migration here in Southern Ontario, and as sad as that is we have stumbled upon a time of low diversity but some interesting little finds. The breeding season. For some birds the breeding season has already started with chicks hatched and running around or squawking in a tree with absolutely 0 chance of stopping until mom brings them a tasty treat. But, with the little ones coming the lack of species comes with it, and, unfortunately, soon the singing will stop too. 

Month's End: 
Species: 158
Individuals: 10,807

    Top Birds: White-rumped Sandpiper, Canada Warbler, Prothonotary Warbler, and Worm-eating Warbler

I know it's been a while since I last posted and I am sorry! Been a busy week. So, here's a run down of what I've been seeing.

June 3rd, 2020

Today I decided to branch out to another CA (Conservation Area) in Haldimand County, Hedley Forest, and it's hard to say it was a good idea.. birds were definitely few and far from inbetween and the path, well let's just say it was more like a suggestion. There was nothing well defined as for where I had to walk, which made it all the more confusing to bird in. 
    As for the birds themselves, well, I'd like to say there is no avoiding Cedar Waxwing this time of year. I counted at least 12 individuals bouncing around in the tree tops, and that was only what I could tell, more than likely there were more. Not to mention the Red-eyed Vireo making their I'm Here. You're There. Up Here. Down there. song which seemed to echo throughout the whole forest. 
    After what felt like forever trying to follow the "path" I came to a clearing, I could hear a Gray Catbird calling from a thorny hideout and a sudden shimmer of a Ruby-throated Hummingbird flying along the branches. Not a lot to say here for the clearing either, for much of this trip I wanna say was a swing and a miss. 
    The way back was a lot the same, some birds every now and then, even a surprise Wood Duck pair. It wasn't until the end of the trail back which in the CA's defense was much more defined, that there was a bird that really caught my attention. I actually did not see it, but I did hear it very well. A hard to describe call I knew, but couldn't recall off the top of my head. After a little searching around and much needed aid by some fellow birders I knew I was going to kick myself when I figured it out--Eastern Towhee! It sounded like there was a pair of males calling back and forth to each other for what felt like forever and man, was it amazing. The trilly ending and loud call make me question why I forget that song. 
    All in all I give Hedley Forest a soft 3/10 for birding (at least in this season). I still got a few decent birds but I'm not sure if the bugs are worth the trouble. 

    Bird of the day: Eastern Towhee - these large sparrow relatives breed in certain areas around the county and are a real pleasure to find through the end of April and into May all around Southern Ontario, their rusty sides topped with striking black backs and heads contrasted nicely with their white bellies make them a must see bird in the area. 

19 Species - 43 Individuals

June 4th, 2020

    Decided to only do a little birding around my parent's place today, not too much around by the few pairs of Purple Martin nesting in the box definitely makes it worth my while to stick around and watch them. 
    Singing in the field was an amazing little bird singing from a couple of stalks of teasel. Savannah Sparrow, a mostly brown sparrow with a little bit of yellow in its crown. Just amazing!  

    Bird of the Day: Purple Martin - These large swallows migrate all the way from South America and are very common around Southern Ontario and they breed at Big Creek in Long Point and Ruthven in Cayuga. I describe their flight pattern as a little cocky, in fact I describe most swallows that. They will fly to dizzying heights and then just do barrel rolls and dip and dive anywhere and everywhere being like I said a little cocky. 

16 Species - 60 Individuals

June 5th, 2020

    Today was the first time going back to the shop in Ancaster since the pandemic broke out. It was definitely weird being back and around my coworkers again but it was a nice change from the past few months. This means going to Hamilton is more of an okay notion. 
    Decided to only do a little birding around the shop since it's been a while since I've been there. From around the little pond there was a Spotted Sandpiper bobbing and an Alder Flycatcher calling on the North Eastern side of the Pond. Other than that definitely nothing too notable. 

Bird of the Day: Alder Flycatcher - This Empid flycatcher is one of the 3 flycatchers who are almost identical to one another and only when they call can you tell the difference between them. The trickiest part, they all breed in Southern Ontario. 

9 Species - 20 Individuals

Lots of Purple Martin flying around the house in the last little while, just waiting on the little ones to start appearing! - Haldimand ON

These female Purple Martin were fluttering around the outside of the box chasing away all of the House Sparrow, they tend to be a little feisty sometimes! - Haldimand ON 

1 comment: