12 Jan 2021

Welcome 2021! Goodbye 2020!

 2020... I don't think I need to tell you it sucked in pretty much every way. I want to emphasize, pretty much. It also set personal records for me with 261 species!!! This consisted of 36 lifers! Here are my top 5 of my favourites: 

  1. Worm-eating Warbler - This bird is at the top where it should be! A first county record for Haldimand County and an amazing bird for anywhere in Ontario! Even though it was a one-day-wonder it was still an amazing find by me! 
  2. Brown Booby - This rightfully is at #2, seabirds anywhere in Ontario (aside from Jaegers in Hamilton) are an insane bird to find but this bird was amazing and stayed for a long time! I personally went out to see it 4 times, including the second it was found! 
  3. Barred Owl - This was a heard-only bird, but one of my all-time favourites from the year, and it could not have come on a better day, our Birdathon! 
  4. Piping Plover - What a day that was! I will always remember going up to Wasaga early in the morning and sitting in the sand with little plovers running around by my feet! 
  5. Prothonotary Warbler - these little guys were amazing to see! Even though they breed not too far from where I live I've never made the trip out. But, now that I did, I am going to go back every year! 
Now I'm hoping for 2021 to knock 2020 out of the water, and I'm already starting out really well! 

This is one of my all-time favourite shots from 2020, I've always loved shorebirds but Piping Plovers just might take the cake for the most amazing shorebirds I've ever seen! (10-Jul-2020)

Although it's not the best shot, it still shows how bright Prothonotary Warblers really are! They really fit the name Swamp Candle! (31-May-2020)

Definitely a record shot, nothing short of fuzzy, but you can see that this is a Brown Booby! One of the rarest birds to show up in Ontario this year! (only rivalled by the Variegated Flycatcher). (08-Sep-2020)


No comments:

Post a Comment