24 May 2020

A Little Catch Up After This Weekend

20-May-2020
   Little walk through the provincial. Got a quite a few thrushes again (7 Swainson, 2 Gray-cheeked, 2 Wood, and 4 Veery). The warblers are still pouring in even with the end of May dawning on us all. Spotted the first male Orchard Oriole of the year. The walk ended on a beautiful Eastern Kingbird. Wonderful bird to end the day with in my opinion! The day also seen 2 new year birds:

  • Blue-winged Warbler (187) 
  • Orange-crowned Warbler (188) 
   Bird of the day: Veery - Lots of them around this year and I am really enjoying their presence this year, hopping along the ground and in the underbrush, just amazing to watch! 

60 Species - 306 Individuals

21-May-2020
   Yet another walk through the Prov. Park, COVID-19 is definitely not doing good for my diversity this year! That being said it was a pretty nice walk, not too many warblers out but there were a quite a few Indigo Bunting and definitely got a nice surprise when I found a Blue-gray Gnatcatcher nest in one of the willow trees in Area 4. Not too many birds out and about but still a good walk, and it also showed a Sharp-shinned Hawk sneak into a tree right above my head! Even got a cool pair of late Common Goldeneye! 

   Bird of the day: Indigo Bunting - this little blue bird is a breeding bird in the area. Hearing their call in mid to late May bring joy of summer and nicer weather (especially on this crappy year). 

58 Species - 288 Individuals

22-May-2020
  The rain kept me away from my usual hotspots and I ended up just doing some birding from a porch swing. A couple of Ruby-throated Hummingbird and a few Baltimore Oriole gave me a nice light on a dark and dreary day, but most of the day consisted of angry Tree Swallows and Song Sparrows out the windows. 

   Bird of the day: Ruby-throated Hummingbird - this little bird is a lot of people's "spark bird" or the bird that gets them into birding. It's hard to believe they even exist, a bird that's wings move so fast you can even see them moving? Definitely unthinkable! 

19 Species - 56 Individuals

23-May-2020
   Starting my day with Rock Point PP around the lake with the hope of some shorebirds but all I was able to dig up was a few Spotted Sandpiper, unfortunately. The Yellow Warblers are still taking over the park (52) and a pair of Black-throated Blue Warbler calling brightened up the lack of shorebirds! 
   Moving onto Selkirk PP definitely improved my day! Lots of warblers moving through with 6 Blackburnian Warblers, 3 Wilson Warbler males and even a Canada Warbler! The vireo took over the other side of the park with 5 Red-eyes and 6 Warbling!
   Moving on to the Townsend Sewage Lagoons hoping for it to make a few more shorebirds for the year and... disappointment. Did get a late Bufflehead and a White-rumped Sandpiper but the best part of this visit was the mother and 6 ducklings! 

The great birding today allowed me to get 3 new species for the year! 
  • Philadelphia Vireo (189)
  • Canada Warbler (190)
  • White-rumped Sandpiper (191)
  Bird of the day - Black-throated Blue Warbler - These little warblers are amazing! Love these little guys and their buzzy call, definitely worth looking forward to when birding in the Spring and Fall! 

81 Species - 889 Individuals

24-May-2020
  Went for my first Kayak ride of the year! Didn't get out last year but it was awesome to finally get on that water. The best part of birding from a kayak is getting to those spots the birds can get to but we cannot, like the little straits around the Grand River. We went to Cayuga and got around the bridges to find some cool swallows, like Cliff and Northern Rough-winged, and for some reason whenever I kayak I get a good amount of Cedar Waxwing, definitely an interesting observation. Though I got a little more than I expected, a pair of Osprey! Flew right over the kayak, definitely wish I had my camera! Didn't get too far but it was still nice to get out. 

Bird of the day - Osprey - These fish eating raptors are always amazing to find, a little smaller than eagles with massive talons these birds are by far one of the best raptors to watch with their fishing talent! 

33 Species - 98 Individuals
Swainson Thrush - Peering back at me, probably wondering why I pointing a giant lens its way! - Haldimand ON
Swainson Thrush - Foraging for bugs in the mud - Haldimand ON
This Veery stayed still for a little while so I could snap a picture of it - Haldimand ON
This Eastern Wood-Pewee was bobbing around in the trees, barely stayed still long enough for me to snap a picture of it! - Haldimand ON
A cute little Lincoln Sparrow hopping along one the logs downed on the trail in the Prov. Park - Haldimand ON
Black-and-white Warbler picking at a bug on a mossy tree - Haldimand ON
Best picture of a Blackburnian Warbler I have ever gotten! Stayed still just long enough for me to snap a picture - Haldimand ON
This Canada Warbler was a great surprise! Been a while since I've seen one. - Haldimand ON
Caught the Canada Warbler dropping from branch to branch - Haldimand ON
Lots of these little Dunlin move through at this time of year so keep your eyes on the fields! - Haldimand ON
The Great Crested Flycatcher was bobbing around the lakeshore calling all in the midst - Haldimand ON
The mom Wood Duck is moving around her little ones - Haldimand ON
Finally caught a glimpse of a White-rumped Sandpiper! Lifer for me - Haldimand ON
Hopping around the ground was this little Yellow Warbler, lots of that happening lately - Haldimand ON

No comments:

Post a Comment