20 May 2020

Victoria Day..or Warbler Day? (May 18th and 19th)

A new idea of mine, I'm going to up the amount of posts I am making since the birds are becoming much more abundant with migration and breeding season.

May 18, 2020
Monday was a very rainy day but I was still able to get out after the rain settled and so glad I did! Got out to Rock Point PP and what a night, 14 Species of Warbler and in good quantities as well (13 Tennessee Warbler was an awesome treat). I only did a little walk around the lake shore and when I heard it was very birdy in Rock Point I was not expecting this! Along with the 70+ swallows flying everywhere along the shoreline I could not find a single place that did not have warblers and migrating birds! The most notable birds were the many many Cape May Warbler flitting around the canopies but I also got a good view of an amazingly bright male Scarlet Tanager! Also got some new birds of the year:

  • Red-eyed Vireo (181)
  • American Redstart (182)
  • Bay-breasted Warbler (183)
  • Wilson Warbler (184)
  • Scarlet Tanager (185) 
Bird of the day: Red-eyed Vireo - definitely a nice bird to find this time of year, just awaiting being bombarded with them breeding in the area soon! 

51 Species - 939 Individuals 

May 19, 2020
Tuesday was a little slow at the beginning, did not find my local Ovenbird, looks like it took a trip north, but with that there was a huge bombardment of Swainson Thrush that moved through the last few days. The Prov. Park was buzzing with lots of Warblers as well with American Redstart and Chestnut-sided Warbler every time I turned around, and a pair of Common Yellowthroat calling at the entrance to the trail, but what was the amazing part was the pair of Black-throated Blue Warbler rustling around in the underbrush by the entrance and the numerous Bay-breasted Warblers jumping around in the trees above me and a beautiful Blackburnian Warbler along with them! I checked the willows as well but the only birds I found were a pair of male Brown-headed Cowbird and a pair of pretty grumpy Blue-gray Gnatcatcher, apparently there did not like me being there. The day was completed by another new year bird: 
  • Common Nighthawk (186)
Bird of the Day: Bay-breasted Warbler - the shear abundance of these birds astonished me and made me amazed with how energetic and flitty thee birds are. I also figured out how difficult they are to photograph! 

67 Species - 358 Individuals
Female American Redstart, these little birds jump around in the brush and are often around eye level, which makes them the perfect photo subject - Haldimand ON
Male Bay-breasted Warbler, this male has a tasty treat in his mouth, but he is still looking for more! - Haldimand ON
This male Bay-breasted Warbler was nice enough to sit still and let me photograph him - Haldimand ON
Gray-cheeked Thrush, these guys migrate through southern Ontario but breed farther north, they are much more common in the fall so lucky to find this little guy! - Haldimand ON
This Osprey is actually making a really good come back in Ontario so I am definitely starting to see a lot more of them! - Haldimand ON
This Veery will most likely stick around here to breed, and there have been a recent influx here in Haldimand, I remember how hard they used to be to find but they are now a more common and pleasant find on my walks - Haldimand ON

No comments:

Post a Comment