29 May 2020

All rained out (29-May-2020)

    Birding was a no go tonight. The rain decided to show up so I had to do some window birding today unfortunately. Not much around but still need to talk about 1 thing: 

The bird of the day! 

This bird is not one I seen today but wanted to give it a little shoutout since it was a while ago I seen it - Whimbrel! - These aren't the rarest birds but man are they by far one of my favourite shorebirds (behind Short-billed Dowitcher mind you)! Their unique long, curved bill is amazing to witness and a pleasure to see in the spring migration and off of Lake Ontario they migrate in massive numbers, a friend of mine, Liam Thorne actually found over 250 in a single day! Amazing! 

I seen this Whimbrel earlier this year and it has officially been my screen saver ever since I took it! - Haldimand ON
This is my all time favourite shorebird, Short-billed Dowitcher. They plunge their whole bill into the mud to get those hard to get bugs burried deep within it! - Haldimand ON

No comments:

Post a Comment