4 May 2020

April Showers Brings May Birds? (Week 18 April 27th to May 3rd)

The last week of April was definitely a little disappointing, much like the rest of the month. With quarantine still on the birds have been going to other places than where I've been birding. With the cold month and the end of it being all rain I didn't get to see much. 

But, with the beginning of May comes the opening up the sky and the sun came pouring in and so did the birds! 

Starting with Saturday. It was a great day for Sparrows (10 species and 89 individuals). Got up at about 04:30 to a needy cat and a chilly morning (5°C). Got out to the property at about 06:00 and started the morning with an amazing look at 19 Common Loon migrating north (definitely have never seen so many at once). Moving into the bush farther I checkup on the local Great Horned Owl nest. The little one is getting to be massive, it's almost the size of mom and is finally growing some adult plumage but for the most part it's still a big puff ball. Just a little ways up from the owls I heard the resident Ring-necked Pheasant calling from the corn field, that's the second time I've heard him back there and it is looking really good that they may be breeding back in there. Moving towards the west side of the wetlands I got a look at a nice Merlin perched over the bushes and seeking out a meal from the White-throated Sparrow singing around it. A little ways back into the bush from the field I stirred up something I was not expecting. A possum came walking towards me. It stopped in its tracks, I think it was just as shocked as I was when it looked directly at me! After he walked away I continued up the path and seen a new warbler for the year, Palm Warbler. We get the "western" subspecies of this bird and it is definitely a gorgeous little guy that I heard singing among the 3 or 4 House Wren and Rose-breasted Grosbeak singing at the top of a nearby tree. The day ended with 65 species the most I've ever seen this year! 

Sunday was the best day I have had in a long time, and the hottest I may add (18°C)! Got out a little later but got a nice surprise on my way in, an Eastern Meadowlark on a fence post on the side of the road so it was a great start to an even better day. Nothing was too exciting getting to the west side. Right adjacent to my Wood Duck box there were 7 species of Warbler around including Nashville and Black-and-white which were both new for the year! Lots of pictures if birds and lots of calling all around my head. Moving down the trail there was a female Eastern Towhee and a late Fox Sparrow. Moving towards the pines there was an Ovenbird kicking around along the ground with 4 Hermit Thrush and a few Ruby-crowned Kinglet kicking around the canopy. Coming back into the deciduous forest heard a ton of Warblers. Yellow, Palm, and a great looking male Blackburnian calling from the canopy! Farther down there is a little stream that had a pair Northern Waterthrush hanging around it. Not long after I heard a Sandhill Crane calling above me, which is a first for my 5MR. In the wetlands I seen my first 2 Green Heron of the year and a surprise Sora! I ended the day with 75 species and a new yearly record! 

All in all the weekend was fantastic! 91 species in 3 days is always a wonderful sight to see! 

Hope everyone is staying safe and good birding all! 

Week's Totals: 
Species: 92
Individuals: 1,970

Common Yellowthroat - Haldimand ON
Belted Kingfisher - Haldimand ON

Merlin - Haldimand ON

Palm Warbler - Haldimand ON

Rose-breasted Grosbeak - Haldimand ON
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker - Haldimand ON
Black-and-white Warbler - Haldimand ON

Blackburnian Warbler - Haldimand ON

Black-throated Green Warbler - Haldimand ON

Fox Sparrow - Haldimand ON

Purple Martin - Haldimand ON

Sora - Haldimand ON

White-throated Sparrow - Haldimand ON
Yellow Warbler - Haldimand ON
Yellow-rumped Warbler - Haldimand ON
White-crowned Sparrow - Haldimand ON
Yellow Warbler - Haldimand ON

No comments:

Post a Comment