3 Mar 2020

Birding with a Camera

You would not think that me, an almost 23-year-old, would have a hard time with cameras since we have been through it all. The movement from film to digital and whatnot, I still remember using disposable cameras and having to get them developed. But there is always one thing I have had a hard time with, using a camera on my birding trips.

I always pictured birders as a bunch of people with binoculars, notebooks, and field guides just like me, but that image is changing. The birders of today carry with them a pair of binoculars but have swapped out most field guides for an app on their phone and have replaced notebooks with eBird. Along with the change in literature they have added an extra item to their list, a camera. Nowadays it is hard to find an experienced birder who isn’t an amateur photographer, myself included. I may still be new to the whole birding with a camera concept, but it has changed the way I approach birding. I find that I reach for the bins and then immediately try to snap a pic of any bird, rare or not. The satisfaction of getting a picture of a bird spikes the adrenaline of seeing a cool bird to the max, for me at least.

I solemnly believe that all birders should carry at least a little point and shoot camera with them. It doesn’t have to be a ridiculously expensive piece. My set up was probably just over a grand total but I have met a few young birders who can’t afford anything that extravagant so they bought a simple $100-$200 point and shoot camera and get by perfectly fine, in fact they can get some good shots. I encourage photography as long as they follow the birding code of ethics.
My Canon T100 Body and 75-300mm Lens

My 150-500mm Sigma Lens Canon EF mount.

No comments:

Post a Comment