20 Mar 2020

COVID-19 and How it is Affecting the Birding Community

By now everyone knows about the COVID-19 virus going around putting the world in utter panic. This has put a big thorn into peoples' sides and panic in their minds. I want everyone to make sure they are safe in this turbulent time but that doesn't mean stop birding.

The biggest warning put out by organizations such as the American Birding Association is that birding is what will keep the calmness in your minds and the relaxation in your body. Now, this doesn't mean birding in large groups is still okay, I would strongly advise against it. Small groups (no more than 10 people max) should be going out at one point in time and any of those feeling and showing the signs of COVID-19 should remain on self-quarantine for 14 days as suggested by the Canadian Government. I'm sure this will all work itself out at some point we just need to be diligent and more importantly stay safe! I'm going to remain birding and posting in this time and I'm hoping soon I will be able to start talking more and more about migrants and the movement of birds though my local station (Ruthven) which is closed to the public (myself included) until the 6th of April.

If there are any people curious of the symptoms of COVID-19 then please read this form put out by the Ontario Health and Wellness website: COVID-19 Self Assessment

Here is a great statement put out by the Ted Floyd of the ABA on things we as a community should be doing in this time of emergency, I hope you enjoy: Five Things ABA Members and Other Birders Can Do and Should Do During the Ongoing COVID-19 Emergency

Stay safe everyone and good birding!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment