29 Mar 2020

Week 12 (March 16 - March 22)

This week has been very much a slow week. With the COVID-19 virus and the social distancing I haven't been out with anyone and I've been trying to avoid crowded areas, which for some reason right now is hard to do. Everyone when there is a pandemic has been deciding to see nature. Which for birders trying to social distance while still going to their local quiet spot is very hard.

I went to a little bit of private property owned by my family on Sunday. It's right beside Selkirk Prov. Park so I could see all of the vehicles parked by the gate and it was crazy! There were so many vehicles there were some that ended up parking along the side of the road. It's like people were thinking that with the current epidemic that they should just go out and go for a walk because going to a local park in "Social Distancing."

The week did see me going to a quite a few places after work, including Sayer's Park in Hamilton and Ruthven a few nights as well.

Ruthven was normal, nothing overly exciting. Most of the common birds. One thing is weird. I've been birding a lot after 5 and more towards 6 o'clock to be honest, and I have had a hard time finding Blue Jay at Ruthven in the evening. That is one thing I have never had a problem with before so it is definitely weird thing. Hopefully it's just the time of day and nothing overly serious.

Saturday saw me going to Sedgewick Forest in Oakville, a small spot where I seen my first White-eyed Vireo in Ontario. There I was able to bag the first Ruby-crowned Kinglet this year and an amazing view of a Cooper Hawk! Didn't see a whole lot of other birds probably due to the hawk scanning around.

Where I got the real excitement was at the wetland in the private property owned by my family! I only went for a little walk and I spotted a personal high of 13 Wood Ducks! With a box back there I am hoping we get at least 1 pair nesting back there. It was also packed with raptors! 5 Bald Eagle, 3 Red-tailed Hawk, and 2 Turkey Vulture all circling in the same place. The 5 baldies were all circling together and 3 of which were adults, 2 I thought may have started Kartwheeling but they unfortunately did not, nonetheless, it was still amazing seeing so many of the eagles all at once and I am pleased that their numbers are growing!

Weekly Totals:
Species: 42
Individuals: 470

Cooper Hawk - Oakville ON

No comments:

Post a Comment