12 Mar 2020

Week 10 (March 2nd - March 8th)

This week was very much back and forth weather wise. Snow, no snow, it was very much frustrating which means a lot of boring birding days! So, let's skip to the weekend where the weather was above 0!

Saturday was a long day, lots of birding. Starting with Ruthven. I was there at about 20 to 8 and went for a nice walk through the grounds. Nothing too notable there except the caw of a Common Raven from across the river. From there took a little drive to the Windermere Basin where I was able to see 11 species of waterfowl and a little flock of American Coot making its stay there. From there I made my way to Bayshore Park where I grabbed an awesome view of a pair of Redheads. First of the year and hopefully not the last! From there I was headed back towards Haldimand and seen a couple Turkey Vulture soaring in their upward "V" formed wings. But the best is when I was pumping gas and I got a great view of over 100 Tundra Swans on their migration north! That made my whole day!

Sunday was more of a slow down. I only visited my local Hotspot, Selkirk Provincial Park. Beautiful day for a walk through the park and grab some birds in the meantime. Walking to the front park was no regret (even if my feet hurt after), 5 Lapland Longspur calling from the fields around me, it is definitely a nice bird to hear in early migration period. The park was no different, lots of peak birding with a pair of Hooded Merganser and a male Northern Harrier cruising around. It definitely brings me back to the good old days where the birds were just there and no life lists and it was all about the birds. I loved that feeling.

Week's end totals:
Species: 57
Individuals: 1,453
Mallard - Hamilton ON
Female American Wigeon - Hamilton ON




No comments:

Post a Comment